Thinking of tips and ways to be more energy efficient at home?
The obvious “turn off the lights” strategy comes to mind first!
There are actually a few strategic ways to save energy loss from your home.
A good starting point is to look at your building’s BER which stands for “Building Energy Rating”
(This actually applies to residential and commercial premises)
Most homes fall within the C category and even a few simple changes can increase the grade of most houses and in turn the heating bill and CO2 expenditure.
BER assessors will look at specific things –
Here are just a few:
- Amount of insulation in your home (attic & Wall)
- Gas boiler performance
- Electricity equipment
- Water heating
- Housing material
- Windows & Doors (Sealed)
- House fabric & quality
*If you look at the energy requirements for each BER level you can start to make improvements to your house and the amount of energy loss*
Good Energy Practices
Also try these tips at home:
- Regular service & maintenance of heating and cooling systems
- Use cooler washing machine cycles
- Consider using the clothes dryer on lower heat or hang clothes to dry outside
- Upgrade your fridge, freezer, washing machine / dryer, hair dryer, kettle and other electric appliances
- Check for heat loss at doors and windows seal points
- Consider a smart home temperature control device
- Use more energy efficient light bulbs (and turn them off)
You could also consider applying for an SEIA grant to make your home warmer and more energy efficient here
Want to change your home energy electricity city or gas supplier?
Switch with a trusted energy advisor using Dolphin Utilities 3 easy steps:
To request a call back on the site complete the 3 step form
Email us at email@example.com
Call us on 069 30160
Follow @FireDaveG on Instagram for regular energy switching news and offers